By July 2003, all, equipment and protective systems intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheres within the European Union will have to bear the CE marking in accordance with the ATEX Directive 94/9/EC.
The ATEX Directive sets out the essential requirements that products must meet and defines the conformity assessment procedures that manufacturers must undertake before affixing the CE marking to them.
The underlying principles are:
- Prevent the formation of explosive atmospheres
- Prevent the ignition of unavoidable explosive atmospheres
- Control the effects of unavoidable explosions
To meet the ATEX requirements your Dust, Fume and Ventilation equipment should conform to the following points:
- Will your equipment be used within the European Union after 2002?
- Is your equipment intended for use in conjunction with potentially explosive atmospheres?
- Does your equipment contain potential ignition sources, e.g. electrical, mechanical, thermal?
- Does your equipment have an explosion control function, e.g. flame arresters, shut off valves, quenching systems, relief panels?
- Does your equipment provide a control function for equipment or systems in a potentially explosive atmosphere?
- What range of flammable gases, vapours, mists or dusts will your equipment be used with?
- What is the likelihood that the flammable substances will be present in the air surrounding your equipment?
- What explosion safety standards are applicable to your equipment?
- To what extent have those standards been deemed to satisfy the ATEX requirements?
- To what extent will the existing certification of your equipment satisfy the ATEX requirements?
The answers to these questions will help you to establish whether the ATEX Directive applies to your Dust extraction, Fume extraction and ventilation equipment and if so which of its requirements you will have to meet.
Contact Encon Air Systems Limited for more information on the ATEX Directive and other British and European standards and requirements with regards to Dust Extraction, Fume Extraction and Ventilation Equipment.
Evaporative Cooling now available as a standard option on all Encon Ventilation Systems.
Available as individual Ventilators or as part of a fully comprehensive system (see special offers page for a typical costing).
Suitable for all types of industrial commercial and office cooling applications.